Hochschule Luzern-Musik International Jazz Piano Competition 2020
Prize money CHF 2'500
The jury may split the prize money among two persons or refrain from awarding the prize. The jury’s
decision is not subject to appeal. The award ceremony will take place at the Langnau Jazz Nights in Langnau i.E., Bern / Switzerland.
Terms and conditions for participation
- Only piano students who are enrolled at a jazz university in Switzerland or abroad are eligible for participation.
- Maximum age limit: 30 years
- Previous winners are excluded from participation.
- Application deadline: April 26, 2020
- Three pianists will be selected from the applications who then will play a public concert of max. 15 minutes with two pieces of their choice, as part of the Langnau Jazz Nights on Saturday, July 25 2020 (main stage Kupferschmiede). They are accompanied by a professional rhythm section (b,dr) which is provided by the Langnau Jazz Nights. On the day of the concert, from 15.00 on, the music can be rehearsed shortly. The repertoire can be chosen freely. The candidate has to provide the rhythm section group with the necessary leadsheets.
- A grand piano, as well as a sound engineer and P.A. system will be available for the concerts
- The selection of the three musicians will be made by representatives of the Lucerne School of Music and Langnau Jazz Nights. The selected musicians will be notified by May 30 2020.
- The award winner will be determined by a jury consisting of Taylor Eigsti, Fabian Almazan, Michael Arbenz (Lucerne School of Music) and one representative of the Langnau Jazz Nights.
- The award ceremony will take place on the same evening.
- The participation at the competition is free of charge. The participants will receive tickets for the concerts on Friday and Saturday, a travel compensation of CHF 100 and the possibility of a two nights stay at the youth hostel Langnau, including food
The application has to include the following digital documents:
- Audio recordings of at least 3 pieces of music. The recordings may not be older than 12 months at the time of the application.
- Two pictures of the pianist in color, landscape format, in high resolution (min. 1MB)
- Short presentation (max. 10 lines)
- Detailed CV
- Confirmation of enrolment of the respective jazz school
- Copy of passport or ID card
- Filled in application form (download here)